Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lafayette, LA



I'm at Dockside Studio near Lafayette, LA, making a new Susan Cowsill record. Actually, I'm not making anything right now, as Susan and Russ are working with some other players at this moment. I think I'll get put to work later today.

It was a 14 hour drive from Indianapolis (which I split up over 2 days), so I had plenty of time to think, listen to some great music, and hear the inauguration on the radio. A few random notes from the drive:

I left town on Martin Luther King Day, and I think I drove on several stretches of highway bearing Dr. King's name. But I had to laugh when I stopped in Nashville and saw a bus stop bench advertising the "Free At Last Bail Bond Service".

I picked up a copy of the Louvin Brothers' "Satan is Real" at the Ernest Tubb Record Shop. I'd long been an admirer of the album cover, but I'd never heard the music. It's beautiful and hilarious, and it will surely stay in rotation for a long while.

While listening to the inauguration on the radio Tuesday (somewhere in Mississippi), a truck pulled up beside me and I smiled when I noticed the Halliburton logo on its side. The Halliburtons are no longer in office, Praise the Lord.

Finally, I stopped outside of Baton Rouge for a Boudin Po Boy, which is delicious, but not suited for in-vehicle enjoyment. I wore a bit of it, but it was well worth it.

The studio is every bit as incredible as I've been told, and I'm glad to be holed up here for the next several days. Thanks to my friend Sonny in Birmingham for feeding me and putting me up Monday night, and to my friend David in Nashville for letting me hang around his shop for a while (and keep him from working).

No comments: