Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tommy

Tom was my best friend in grade school, back in Crown Point, Indiana. The summer after 5th grade, my family moved to Indianapolis, 2 hours away(!). Tom and I saw each other once about 2 years later, then never again for 24 years.


Possibly my first experience onstage was in grade school, when Tom convinced school authorities to let us get up at lunch time and perform doo-wop songs for our classmates. It was a typical school gymnasium/cafeteria with an inset stage, and we'd eat our lunches as fast as we could (he'd brown-bag, I'd buy) and hop up to do a few numbers by Dion and the Belmonts or Frankie Avalon.


Recently, Tom and I made contact via the internet, and I learned that he lives in Manhattan, just a couple of blocks from BB King's, and that he's a Cowsills fan. Obviously we made arrangements to meet in NYC and for Tom to come to the show. We emailed a few times and set it up.


Tom made it to the club a couple of hours before showtime and we were able to spend some time catching up and reminiscing before he headed out to pick up his girlfriend Kathryn. They came back and enjoyed the show, then we spent some time hanging around backstage and playing some more catch-up.


I have very limited memories of grade school, but Tom reminded me of some stories and filled in some gaps in my memory. It's funny, he's pretty much an adult extrapolation of the kid I remember- intelligent, funny, well-read and well-listened. It was great to meet again and catch up after so many years. We promised to keep in touch, which should be easier now that we're adults and have 20th century communication technology at our disposal.
Tom, it was great to see you, and I wish you and Kathryn all the best.

No comments: